Football season has arrived. In Buffalo, this means a cool fall breeze through the window and plenty of game day appetizers on the table as friends and family gather to watch the Bills play. When it’s your turn to host, wow guests with football party appetizers full of Buffalo flavor!
Wing-Inspired Game Day Apps
There’s nothing more classic than wings for your football party appetizer menu. Keep it traditional with a spread of your favorite wings or mix it up with wing-inspired finger foods.
- Chicken Wings: Order from your go-to place or fry your own and top with flavors that range from traditional (hot, medium and mild) to creative (fruit-glazed, curried and chipotle).
- Buffalo Chicken Dip: Pulled chicken mixed with cheddar and blue cheeses, and Frank’s Hot Sauce will always be a favorite game day snack in Buffalo.
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders: Top a slider roll with chicken tenders tossed in Frank’s Red Hot and topped with blue cheese.
Beef on Weck Flavored Finger Foods
The combination of rich roast beef, tangy horseradish and earthy caraway seeds is iconic in Buffalo. Serve up the flavors of beef on weck with these appetizer-sized alternatives.
- Beef on Weck Dip: Mix shredded beef with horseradish, caraway seeds and cream cheese for a dip that pairs perfectly with crostini.
- Beef on Weck Sliders: Top thinly shaved roast beef with a horseradish aioli. These pair perfectly with Buffalo chicken sliders!
- Beef on Weck Stuffed Pretzels: Pretzel dough is rolled around roast beef from the deli and horseradish. Top with salt and caraway seeds before popping them in the oven.
Pizza-Based Football Party Snacks
Buffalo has recently gained recognition as a pizza hotspot. Buffalo’s pizza is flavorful and hearty, which makes appetizers based on it great for game day.
- Pizza Logs: Deep fried and dipped in marinara sauce, this late night favorite can easily be recreated at home for your Bills viewing party.
- Pizza Nachos: Instead of the traditional taco-esque toppings, these nachos boast pizza sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, pepperoni and your favorite pizza toppings (sweet peppers, banana peppers, olives, broccoli, etc.).
- Pizza Potato Skins: Substitute cheddar and bacon with mozzarella and pepperoni. Serve with marinara for dipping.
Healthy Buffalo-Flavored Football Snacks
Buffalo’s culinary specialties don’t have a reputation for being nutritious. However, it’s easy to trade a few ingredients for football appetizers that are both healthy and delicious.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites: These bite-sized appetizers are full of Buffalo flavor. Bake your cauliflower (instead of frying) and serve with a Greek yogurt-based blue cheese for dipping.
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs: Opt for chicken meatballs rather than beef and serve with the same Greek yogurt-based blue cheese dressing as your cauliflower bites.
- Zucchini Pizza Bites: Substitute grilled zucchini for crust and top with homemade sauce, low fat mozzarella and healthier turkey pepperoni.