Wedding cake is a traditional, timeless wedding dessert that couples have served to their guests for decades. Today’s couples are choosing to expand their reception’s last course with unique wedding dessert menus.
Whether you forgo a cake altogether or pair a small cutting cake with other desserts, there are dozens of wedding dessert ideas instead of cake to serve at your reception.
Add International Flavor
- Spanish churros are a great option for a laid-back wedding reception.
- Take a cue from French weddings and serve guests croquembouche.
- French macaroons are a trendy wedding cake alternative.
- Layers of puff pastry and pastry cream make up mille-feuille, a French pastry. This treat is also a traditional Tuscan dessert, where it’s known as millefoglie.
- Upgrade your ice cream bar with custom flavors of Italian gelato.
- Cheesecake was once used as wedding cake by Greek couples.
For Summer Celebrations
- Serve guests refreshing sorbet that matches your wedding’s color palate.
- Get creative with ice cream instead of cake; serve via a truck, cart or sundae bar.
- Take advantage of fresh local fruit with pies in various flavors.
- Popsicles are a fun, transportable treat for summer wedding receptions.
- Set out s’more ingredients near the fire pit for a snack after guests are done dancing.
- Meringues are a delicate dessert that look beautiful stacked on tiered displays.
- Keep dessert light with chocolate and caramel dipped fruit.
Bite Sized Cake Alternatives
- Choose classic cookies in multiple flavors for your wedding reception dessert.
- Add fudge-y brownies to your dessert menu.
- Elicit nostalgia with squares of Rice Krispies Treats.
- Present guests with personal fruit tarts with a variety of fillings and toppings.
- Serve cake in a unique, bite-sized form: the whoopie pie.
For a Brunch Wedding
- One of the biggest current wedding trends, donuts, can be served on a wall or in a tower.
- Drizzle warm cinnamon rolls with icing for a dessert that will make guests forget about cake altogether.
- A Belgian waffle bar gives guests the opportunity to customize their wedding dessert.
- Let guests choose which fillings they’d like in warm, freshly made crepes.
- Gourmet pop tarts are a sweet treat to serve guest during your reception or package for them to take home.
- Bring the flavor of New Orleans to your wedding dessert menu with beignets.
Mix and Match Pastries
- Serve an assorted collection of elegant petits fours.
- Éclairs can be filled and decorated to complement your reception theme.
- Pair after dinner coffee with petite cannoli dusted with powdered sugar.